NFS Performance Woes

Hi,

I've been unable to track down an extremely annoying performance issue with NFS. My home server has several exports shared over NFS4. The exports are all secured using Kerberos except one, which can be mounted using the traditional sys security model.

The problem is that write performance stalls at 48k/sec (or according to nfsiostat 4k/sec) despite being on a 1Gbit network and once this occurs, nothing I do seems to fix it. The only thing that does, is rebooting the client machine. This has been occurring for a year or so now but is happening so regularly now, it's driving me nuts! :-)

I'm fairly sure it's a client side issue, because rebooting the client allows normal transfer speeds once again. If I only reboot the server it makes no difference. My client is F19, the server is F20. After rebooting the client, write transfers can be fine for a day or so and then all of a sudden it hangs around 48k/sec again.

Restarting all the NFS daemons on the client makes no difference, including the associated RPC daemons. The NFS exports are mounted via autofs, but manually mounting makes no difference either.

When I'm experiencing slow writes to the server of 48k/sec, NFS reads are still in the region of 100MB/sec. Using scp or even copying files to the server via CIFS are well within the range of a 1Gbit network.

Nfsstat, wireshark and the system logs do not show anything which screams there's a problem.

The network card in the client machine and the server shows no collisions, dropped packets, frame overruns etc.

I've tested with the export that isn't using Kerberos and still have the same issue. Messing with the rsize, wsize, async, sync parameters makes no difference either.

The server has 32GB RAM, the client 16GB.

For all intents and purpose it looks like its working as it should, it's just painfully slow.

Any NFS gurus out there, that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

--
Ian Chapman.