Re: OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

On 07/11/2014 11:12 PM, poma wrote:
On 12.07.2014 02:27, Rolf Turner wrote:

So how might I upgrade to the latest version?  I must confess that I am
running a very elderly version of Fedora (17, to be explicit). I don't
dare try to upgrade my Fedora version, given what I have read on this
list about the problems that are involved with such upgrades.  I cannot
afford to be stuck with a broken system.  I am not sufficiently
knowledgeable to be able to fix a broken system and I have no local
resources to give me assistance.

Would I need a more recent version of Fedora in order to get a more
recent version of Thunderbird to run?

Get CentOS 7 Now
https://www.centos.org/download/
CentOS mailing list

poma

I'm no expert, but in my experience, Thunderbird runs on just about anything. I have run it on a bunch of different Linux distros without any hassle at all. It usually comes bundled with the OS as a "ready to run" app. It also runs in all versions of Windows.

I haven't read everything in this thread, so I don't know if you have brought your specific problem to the attention of Mozilla, but you probably should. When you do, make sure you include both your Linux distro and revision, and your hardware specifications, especially the mother board make and version, the processor, the amount of memory, the free space on your hard drive, and the size of
your swap partition.

You can get most of this information by running, from a terminal,
su
(input your root password)
lshw

You can copy and paste from a terminal window by highlighting the lines and then pressing ctrl + shift + c all at once. If you want to save the output, paste a copy into a simple
editor like Kate and save it.

It may help if you know the time and date when the problem showed up, if you know it,
and pass on the name of your Internet provider.

The Mozilla website says this about Linux requirements:
"Linux
"Software Requirements
"Please note that Linux distributors may provide packages for your distribution which have different requirements.

"Thunderbird will not run at all without the following libraries or packages:
        GTK+ 2.18 or higher
        GLib 2.22 or higher
        Pango 1.14 or higher
        X.Org 1.0 or higher (1.7 or higher is recommended)
        libstdc++ 4.3 or higher

"For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or packages:
        NetworkManager 0.7 or higher
        DBus 1.0 or higher
        HAL 0.5.8 or higher
        GNOME 2.16 or higher"