Re: Installing with F20 installer report (and failure)

On 05/30/2014 04:29 AM, lee wrote:
Sudhir Khanger <sudhir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 02:19:55 PM lee wrote:
Sudhir Khanger <sudhir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 08:24:09 PM lee wrote:
The built-in dedicated graphics card is not used but not switched off,
either.  The resulting power drain would make it impossible to complete
the installation on battery power.
Because the dual graphic card support came in later Kernels than the one
shipped with Fedora 20.
Hm, are such cards going to be supported soon?  So far, I haven`t been
able to use it at all because when I switch, there is no output to the
screen anymore.

Recent Kernels do support power management to turn off dedicated graphic
cards. It being able to automagically switch graphic card for GPU load is a
long shot at the moment.
If would already help if I could switch manually.

Nouveau doesn't even work on my system. It floods my system with messages [1]
which makes it impossible to get to the desktop. I use Nvidia binary drivers
through Bumblebee which works fine.
It`s some ATI card in this case.  Perhaps the drivers would work, but
there won`t be any point when nothing is displayed ...

More importantly, the system doesn`t boot.  Any ideas how to install
Fedora with the setup I described so that it boots, or how to get it to
boot?
The docs tell me it is quite possible to create RAID partition using Anaconda.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html

  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/Installation_Guide/Create_Software_RAID-x86.html
It was possible to create them --- or least to tell the installer to do
so.  Since it doesn`t boot, I don`t know what was actually done.

Why is LVM a default "Partition scheme" (whatever that means)?  I have
no use for lvm.
Let`s say "I want more space" ... and "Standard Partition" (whatever
that is) and "Encrypt my data and set a passphrase later".
Why do you want to use RAID-1 when you say that you have no idea what LVM or
even Standard Partitions are?
I`m not saying that I have no idea what LVM is, only that I don`t have
use for it.  And the installer doesn`t say what it means by "standard
partitions".  I want to use raid because I don`t store data on a single
disk only.

And same goes for employing full-disk encryption. If you don't know
what to do with passphrase, you will inevitably use your data
permanently and blame Fedora.
I`m not saying that I don`t know what to do with it.  Why do I have to
enter the passphrase like 10 times?  Why does the installer want to save
it, and where?

Anyway, I want to use the system.  Since Fedora fails and there aren`t
any ideas about getting it to work, it seems I have to install something
else.
Hi Lee,
Just my 2 cents worth, the dot you are seeing on the top left of the screen is displayed just before the grub boot menu is displayed, which as the menu is not displayed means that the system can't find grub.cfg which is in /boot/grub2. I haven't tried playing around with software raid much, which also leads to the question of why raid1 which is mirroring rather than raid0 which is striping and provides more disk space availability, but I digress. I thought that support for software raid was implemented in kernel modules, which if correct, the kernel is in /boot, which I thought you said was a raid device, hence how does it load the drivers to support raid from a raid device before it has the drivers, if you know what I mean, which would also explain why it can't load grub.cfg. I know its a pain, but I would try reinstalling again and configuring your devices with /boot as non-raid, and configuring everything else as raid.

regards,
Steve

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Morris