Re: Consistent device naming

On 5/13/2014 8:59 PM, CLOSE Dave wrote:
On 05/13/2014 05:39 PM, Russell Miller wrote:

I want to run the same software on all of these machines and
having inconsistent names /between/ the machines makes that next to
impossible. Using the new names means that my software has to learn
all those different names and can't easily determine which name
applies to the motherboard port. Using the old names means it can't
predict which name will be given to which port.

There's got to be a better answer.
... don't use Fedora?

Just kidding.  Sort of.
Well, that option will certainly be considered. But it appears that
nearly all of the common distributions are going to systemd/udev. Not
only would I probably still have the same problem, I'd also have to
learn a whole bunch of different things.

Assuming since you're posting here that that's not an option :)  You
could learn to love the default udev nomenclature, or you could add
rules to /etc/udev.d/rules (or whatever the equivalent is) that tie
MAC addresses to specific interface names.  It would require a little
bit of script-fu, but assuming a competently managed key or password
infrastructure, shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
I've done that. The problem seems to be that what I want to do is to
/exchange/ the names assigned. One of the renames works but the other
fails, claiming the new name is already in use. In other circumstances,
I'd use an intermediate name, orig->temp->target, but I don't know how
to do that with udev, or even if it is possible.

Prepare for a whole lot more issues, though.  Upgrading from 13 is a
significant upgrade, and there's lots that will go wrong.
Particularly on mongrel hardware like yours.
I know. It will be a "challenge".

I abandoned ethx altogether. I picked a short mnemonic for my ISP (lan = LAN, wifi = WIFI, ccast = Comcast, ctel = Century Tel.). Seems to help with servers having more that one one internet connection:
ifup lan
tcpdump -i ccast blah blah etc.

Hope this helps,
Bill