Re: Need advice

On Apr 16, 2014 10:28 PM, "Bill Oliver" <vendor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014, Rachmayanto Surjadi wrote:
>

>> Hi all:
>>
>> We are developing internal software using MySql dB and are planning to use Fedora for the server.
>>
>> The question is how do we know that this hardware (motherboard, CPU) really support Fedora version 18 or 19? We are looking at mobo from Asus or Intel or
>> Gigabyte, but did not find firm answer. We did not find the info from mobo websites either.
>>

>> The mobo that got our interest are the ones with H77 or Z77 or H87 chipsets.
>>
>> Is there any URL for me to get the information we need?
>>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Rachma
>>

> I don't want to start a religious thing here, but I *personally* wouldn't use Fedora for a production/enterprise system.  The bottom line for me is that:
>
> 1) Fedora is always being fixed and futzed around with.  That's great for a home laptop or personal server or something where lots of bugfixes and upgrades are great and if something goes wrong, you can always play with it.  It's not so great if you want something that you just want to "run" all the time with minimal tinkering.
>
> Almost every time one of those massive 300-bugfix upgrade batches come up, I end up getting something not working with something else, scratch my head and go "Damn.  How'd that happen."  Then I either try to workaround it, or I just shrug and assume that the *next* set of patches a few days later will fix whatever went wrong (and it almost always does).  That's fine for my laptop.  I wouldn't want to try to run a business on it -- though I'm sure many do, and I'm sure they are happy with it.
>

> 2) Fedora goes end of life quickly.  F18 is not a good choice because of that, for instance.  If you want to use fedora, you have to buy into doing installs/upgrades every year, and maybe even more frequently.  Once again, that's great if you are into it, but not if you want stability.
>
> For these reasons, I tend to use Fedora for my personal machines and machines that I don't mind getting under the hood on a lot.  For other things, I tend to go to CentOS -- though I'd go RHEL if I had any money...
>
> That doesn't answer your hardware question, of course, and I don't know the answer.  All I can say is that I haven't had a basic chipset problem with Fedora in 10 years, but I've always bought commodity machines.
>

> billo
> --

Would you recommend using something like Ubuntu instead of Fedora for work related system?

I moved from Ubuntu to Arch to Fedora. Fedora provides both latest innovations in Linux world and ease of use over something like Arch Linux.

I have recently started learning Java/Android. That means I need to focus more on learning Android and least on how to get something working on Fedora or fixing breakage that comes from flux of upgrades (Example -A bug that left Gnome users locked out and Bumblebee, VirtualBox may require special assistance at the time of kernel upgrade). Not to mention Google recommends Ubuntu for Android  development.

Wondering what other folks have experienced.