Re: Need advice

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014, Roger wrote:

What would one have to look out for if one does keep an EOL Fedora for a number of years?
Roger

I *assume* (though do not know) that you wouldn't keep getting library updates, so that eventually updated apps wouldn't run even if you downloaded them by hand.  Don't know, though.

I do know that about 15 years ago, I used to do system admin for a small government scientific network.  I left the activity to work somewhere else, but they hired me as a private consultant to do remote security maintenance.  In addition, I'd travel up to DC to do clean OS upgrades twice a year. I did that for awhile until the activity was partially defunded, and they couldn't renew my contract.

Then, for another few years, I did a rather haphazard security surveillance for them gratis, since I was friends with one of the scientists there.  However, I didn't do upgrades.  The bottom line was that there were four servers in the DMZ, and all did fine for five years without any human hands actually touching them.  Script kiddies banged the bejesus out of my webserver, ssh server, and ftp server, but I never saw an actual intrusion with the tools I had.  Doesn't mean there wasn't one, of course :-), but I looked pretty hard and I had the advantage of surveilling a network that had few users, and whose users did very limited things.  Back then, I was a fan of Mandrake/Mandriva (this was before Mageia).  I was pretty surprised by the robustness of the OS even without upgrade -- four machines ran five years without any hands-on maintenance, and even survived a couple of power outages and a hurricane or two.

But, all in all, it gave me the willies.  I was a lot more paranoid than the scientists on the system.  If there was going to be an intrusion, it would have more likely been because of social engineering with them rather than a memory overflow bug in the webserver...

billo