Re: Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-04-01)

On 04/12/2014 10:34 AM, Beartooth wrote:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 14:08:12 +0200, lee wrote:

>Joe Zeff<joe@xxxxxxx>  writes:
>It has been established that it is irrelevant what users think. [....]

	Where? How? (if that's not sarcasm)

I'm not sure at this point, but I presume that I was referring to Gnome. Back when I was using Gnome 2, I tried using a forum that claimed to be intended for Gnome support. (Sorry, but I don't even have the URL any more.) I say "claimed," because for the most part it was a Write Only forum; that is, it was very rare that anybody ever bothered to reply to a request for help, even with a pointer to a better place to ask. However, if your post contained anything that implied that the Gnome devs hadn't gotten everything exactly right, or were unwilling to change something that users didn't like, you'd be flamed. There'd be a storm of replies telling you, in almost hysterical terms, that the Gnome devs never visited this site, that the only way to get their attention was by joining their mailing lists and that even then, they wouldn't care what you thought unless you were actively providing code for at least one Gnome project. And, they'd almost always be phrased in such a way that it was clear that the posters thought you were a horrible person for daring to criticize Gnome or the Wonderful People who were developing it. It was quite clear, to me at least, that the people who posted to that board were afraid that the devs would just walk away if they didn't like what mere users were writing about them. And, their attitude toward third-party extensions to Gnome 3 back when it first came out, did nothing to change my mind: it took quite a while, as I recall, before they were willing to make the slightest effort to avoid breaking them as they updated and upgraded the Gnome Shell. It's possible that this attitude has changed, but I don't use Gnome, I don't try to interact with their devs and all I really know is what I observed back when I did.