Re: in regard to my system fans picking up speed

On 04/03/2014 01:35 PM, christopher marlow issued this missive:
You know whats crazy?

I installed XFCE and the fans are very quiet now... this is odd...  wonder why?

It is possible that the increased fan speed is caused by your GPU
working harder to render the graphics on web pages--especially if
there's video on the pages.

Switching to XFCE from an eye-candy-laden desktop (Gnome3, etc.)
reduces your GPU workload as well since XFCE doesn't do 3D unless
you've installed Compiz. Even then, if you don't use the 3D desktops
(cube and such) the load on your GPU will be reduced.

Watch the temperature on your GPU in sensors and see if perhaps that's
the cause. I sorta gave up on Firefox (with all its problems) and use
either Chrome or Opera a lot. I have Firefox and a couple of other
browsers on standby in case I need them but I rarely do.