Re: Good tutorial on setting up a grid/cluster using fedora

On 02/04/14 03:30 PM, Bill Oliver wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, Digimer wrote:

On 02/04/14 02:54 PM, Bill Oliver wrote:

 Just to see if I can do it, I thought I'd set up a small grid/cluster
 using fedora.  Does anybody know of a good step-by-step guide for this
 (preferably free and online :-) )?

 Thanks,

 billo

What kind of cluster? There are two main types;

1. High-Availability (HA)
2. High-Performance Computing (HPC)

There is also 'Load Balancing', which is a form of HPC. In the HA
space, it's faily easy to write tutorials as a given config can more
or less be applied to numerous use-cases. In the HPC/LB world, it
really comes down to the problem you're trying to solve.

I'm more interested in high performance.

<snip>

Anyway, while my civilian job is more traditional death investigation, I
still do a fair amount of image analysis for clients as a private
sideline.  So, I'm interested in doing stuff like image manipulation in
frequency space, wavelet decomposition, etc. of large numbers of images.

Also, I'm interested in setting up a neural network to help me with my
fantasy baseball picks :-).

billo

Ya, just a little TMI.

I think you will need something fairly custom HPC setup... You will need to find a way to break your work up into pieces and send them out the the various nodes, then collect the returned results and piece them back together (and handle timeouts of jobs not returned by a given node and re-issue to another node).

There are some projects out there that might work as a foundation, but it's slipping outside my expertise (I'm an HA admin). I would suggest stopping by freenode.net's #hpc channel and seeing what they might be able to recommend.

--
Digimer
What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without access to education?