Re: Fedora 20 & Apple thunderbolt monitor - it just works!!!

Tim:
>> When you mis-set the DPI, you lose the ability for applications to
>> show "actual size" objects.  Such as graphics designers, or desktop
>> publishers, who want to design something with real-world
>> measurements (i.e. centimeters, not pixels), and have the program
>> show it at life size on their monitor.  Which it can do, when DPI is
>> set right, as the physical size of the monitor screen is known, the
>> pixels across and down it, and what DPI it uses.

g:
> i do not know what correlations of 'dots per' are in centimeters,
> but i do know that with what they are in inches.

Fair enough, I should have stuck with one measurement system, and just
mentioned inches as a real-world measurement.

> in inches, dpi does not lend towards getting "actual size", only
> close, as in horse shoes, hand grenade, and nuclear bombs.

I refute that.  If you know that your device has a specific DPI, and the
actual size of the screen (the active part of it), you can get a very
good rendition of something drawn at 1:1 scale on the device.  Screen,
printer, whatever.

e.g. If I want to print something on paper 1 inch square on a 600 DPI
printer, the rendering engine makes it 600 dots across in both
directions.  And I can do the exact same thing on screen, the numbers
involved are different, of course, but the math is the same.  Knowing
the screen size and DPI, it can create the right number of dots.

It's not just a case of being able to show graphics at a specific real
world size that's important, either.

For artists, you want to know the screen parameters so that circles are
drawn as circles, not ellipses, not just for the sake of it, but when
you're drawing graphics, you want to be able to rely on what you're
seeing, so that the proportions are correct.  You can't expect everyone
else to fiddle with their monitor so they don't get a stretched picture,
because you drew it wrong.  That's something I'm really sick of seeing
with video, too, clips in the wrong aspect ratio.

For applications that mix text and graphics, you want to be able to plan
the size of both appropriately.

And as I mentioned the first time around, since different things manage
rendering in different ways, you want them all scaling from the same
starting point.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.