Re: NetworkManager - have to reboot to change connections

On 22 March 2014 04:40, CS_DBA <cs_dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03/21/2014 05:43 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 03/22/14 07:39, CS_DBA wrote:
On 03/21/2014 05:33 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 03/22/14 06:07, CS_DBA wrote:
I can plug a hard wire into my laptop and boot up, it comes up connected.

I can boot up with no connection and then tell it to connect to the wireless it works fine, but if later I click disconnect for the wireless and plug the hard wire (cat 6) cable in it says it's "connecting"  but spins until I finally reboot.
Have you tried unplugging the cable, waiting a bit, and plugging it in again?

Seems to work fine, but when I try and move from wireless to em1 "on the fly" I see the issue
I don't quite understand....  Are you saying.....

You boot up with no connection and then tell it to connect to the wireless it works fine.  You then disconnect from wireless, plug in the cable, status becomes "connecting" but never connects.  Then, you uplug the cable, wait a bit, plug it back in....and all is well.

Is that what you are doing/seeing?  You don't need to reboot...but you do need to plug-in, plug-out, plug-in?

Here's what I see

1) If I boot up with no cable plugged in it auto connects to the wireless immediately

2) If I boot up with the cable (cat 5/6) plugged in it immediately connects to em1

3) If I boot with the cable plugged in, then unplug the cable it connects to the wireless quickly

4) If I boot up with the cable plugged in, disconnect the cable, then re-connect it it re-connects to em1 fine

[...]
5) however if I boot up with no cable, let it connect to the wireless, then plug in the cable it attempts to connect to em1 but never completes

I don't have wireless, but I see a similar issue, if I boot the machine with the ethernet cable disconnected, then connect it after boot, the system says/thinks the connection is up but it doesn't work, can't even ping the router.

Some workarounds:
- Disconnecting the cable, waiting a few seconds then replugging it makes it work
- Bringing the connection down manually, then up seems to work too either using:
# ifdown em1 && sleep 5 && ifup em1
or:
# ip link set em1 down && sleep 5 && ip link set em1 up

(em1 is the connection name on my box).

restarting the NetworkManager service doesn't seem to have an effect. With or without DHCP doesn't matter too. This is with Intel I217-V ethernet chip and the e1000 kernel module.

Ahmad Samir