Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Tim wrote:

[snip]
But all this is pure speculation.
One of the weaknesses of Fedora, in my view,
is the apparent lack of interest in what users actually want or need.

[snip]

I don't think it's a total lack of interest.  I think that it's an issue of prioritization.  From what I've read, the purpose of Fedora is to use the open source community to examine and debug things for potential inclusion in the Red Hat Enterprise products.  Accordingly, it is our "job" to get stuck with stuff we don't like and things that are not quite ready for prime time.  We get a "bleeding edge" full-featured, well-supported OS to play with, but it's not bulletproof or necessarily the easiest to use.  We provide service at beta-testers and test audiences.  My impression is that Red Hat is *very* interested in what we put in bugzilla, and *is* interested in usability and preference issues from us -- but that the debugging part is first, usability second, and preference third in the priority list.

I suspect that the preferences of the paying customers come first, and that's as it should be.  There are a number of pretty bullet-proof linux distros around, but they are a bit boring.  If I wanted that, and I had a preference for RH style stuff, I'd be running CentOS rather than Fedora.

Using Fedora is like getting a big box of presents every six months sent to me by a rather absent-minded elderly aunt, who can't quite remember my tastes.  The good part is that it is a big box full of neat stuff.  The bad part is that some of it got broken in the mail and some of it I just don't care for.  But I throw the stuff I don't like away and enjoy playing with the stuff I like.

billo