Re: after upgrading fedora rawhide this morning, no graphical desktop

On 03/13/2014 11:58 AM, Robert P. J. Day issued this missive:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Kevin Martin wrote:

   recently, i upgraded my ASUS G74S laptop to fedora rawhide and it
was running nicely. then this morning, i did another "yum update",
which appeared to update well over 200 packages (including a slightly
newer kernel), after which, when i booted, i had no graphical desktop
anymore, just the little blue and white fedora logo.

   i can still switch to VC2 and log in at the command line (where i am
now), so i can certainly check log files, but i don't see anything
immediately amiss.

   i rebooted both to the earlier rawhide kernel, and even back to the
latest fedora 20 official kernel -- same result, the fedora logo in
the middle of the screen on VC1, but the ability to log in on another
virtual console.

   has anyone else run into this? i have an nvidia graphics card, and
am running the nouveau driver. i'll keep poking around the log files,
and if you have any suggestions, i'm all ears.

rday

Hmm, sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.  When you go into VC2
what does "lsmod | grep nouveau" show?  I've found that I've been
having to manually "modprobe nouveau modeset=1" since doing my
update about 4 days ago.  I'm not sure why nouveau won't load and I
find that if I don't set the modeset=1 when I do the manual modprobe
that I still can't get X.

   hmmmm ... it's possible this is not related to rawhide at all, and
is due to something silly i did earlier this morning. could the
following be the cause?

   in order to install drupal 8.x on my fedora (rawhide) system, i had
to disable selinux ("setenforce 0"). i *think* that while selinux was
thus disabled, i may have done "yum update", which would have of
course updated those 200+ packages while my system was in permissive
mode. once i saw i had a new kernel due to the update, i of course
rebooted, which rebooted with selinux back in enforcing mode, and the
problems started. simply putting selinux back into permissive mode
fixed everything.

   i'm by no means an selinux expert -- is that how i caused my
problem?

It's possible. Generally speaking, files installed by an RPM should
have the correct selinux contexts set, but if a file is _generated_
by a scriptlet in the RPM, it may not have the correct context.

I'd recommend, as root "touch /.autorelabel" and reboot. That should
force the system to set the correct selinux contexts on your files.