Re: VEry OT Ruby

Allegedly, on or about 05 March 2014, Roger sent:
> They have the domain and are using it with the current ISP.

When you own a domain, you can point it to anywhere.  You don't *have*
to use it with any particular ISP.  Your domain records can point your
website address, your email servers, and any number of other servers, to
got to any IP that you want it to.

Though there is an exception to that:  People who've paid for their
domain name through their ISP, and their ISP doesn't allow to change any
domain records.  Either because they're doing some cheap deal for you,
that'd usually be more expensive, or their doing a shonky deal on you
where they're claiming to own your domain that you've paid for.

> Surely just signing up with another ISP is just the same as staying
> with the current one but with lower cost.

You only need your ISP as a connection between you and the internet.
Serving can be done from the ISP, from your own computers (more risky,
and slower), or from something completely external.

People change ISPs for many different reasons - cost, reliability, the
services that are available/unavailable.  Here, in Australia, most ISPs
just provide access to the net, and basic email.  Some let you have some
personal webspace, but not all let you do anything more than flat HTML.
Some will give you expensive web serving options, that are far more
expensive, and often worse, than a dedicated web hosting service.  In my
case, that describes all the ISPs that I've personally used.

> How does one have an independent service? Where can I get
> comprehensive info on this or even running without an ISP.

Look up website hosts.  There's a huge number of them.  Everything from
simple web site hosts, to web and email and all sorts of databases.  You
can find ones with Windows and Linux based hosts.  That allows you to
pick one that uses software you can test on your own PCs, for doing
off-line website tests (you have an internal clone of your site, to try
things out, before you put them on the public internet).  I uses hosts
that have Apache running on Linux, and I run Apache on Fedora, and check
that what I want to do works, before I upload it to the host.

In a nutshell, your ISP is providing a connection point between yourself
and the internet (or simply taking your money, and having someone else
do it on their behalf - some ISPs are just a financial arrangement).

A web host (or other type of host) is a system of computers connected to
the internet.  They don't have to have anything to do with your ISP.
You upload your files to their computers, and it runs your site from
there.  You can change ISPs, and it makes no difference.  You could even
have no personal ISP, and just nip down to your local internet cafe and
connect through them to manage your site.  While that's not practical
for most websites, it may be for some small clubs which have no money to
pay for an ISP on a on-going basis, and only need to occasionally log in
and manage their website.  But that was the point I was making about not
even needing to have an ISP to have a website.

> How do I server a CMS web site from another ISP while using the
> current one that they will not change from?

Running any service that is split between two hosts is a bit of a
nightmare.  You have to contend with the rules, and limitations, that
both halves impose on you.  To start with, you'd need to find one that
gave you enough access to the server configuration to let you specify
where the other half lives.

At the moment, it sounds like you're dealing with a variation on vendor
lock-in.  Where they're holding something that's important to you, to
ensure that you don't go elsewhere for better service.  This is one
example why I recommend against using ISP-supplied services.  You are
held ransom to them.  If you want to move, it's difficult.  If their
business folds, and does so before you can transfer your data, you're
stuffed.  And, worse, if your email is using their domain name, you have
to change your email address.  Goodbye to staying in touch with former
clients, and hello to paying for new advertising of your new contact
details.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.