Re: Most Efficient Network File sharing protocol?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:58:36 -0600
Dan Mossor <dan.mossor@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When the DVD is built, I pull the updates across the local network to
> my machine and build the DVD there. These <4GiB transfers sometimes
> take close to 3 to 4 hours using NFS, and it is a Gigabit network.
> rsync appeared to be a bit faster, but my goal is to find the most
> efficient transfer method to move lots of little -and some big -
> files across a local network.

On a gigabit network 4GiB of data should optimally be transferred for
cca 40 seconds. That said, this can drastically deteriorate if you are
transferring lots of little files individually.

The simplest way is to use tar to collect the data in one file on the
source machine, transfer the single tar file over the network, and
unpack it on the destination machine. If you do it this way, it should
really not matter much which transfer protocol you are using. NFS,
samba, ftp, scp, rsync, even http --- they should all give you roughly
the same (fast) performance. If they don't, there is probably something
very wrong with your gigabit LAN. :-)

Tar itself uses only as much time as required to read/write 4GiB of
data on the local hard drive. This should typically not take too long,
and can be further optimized by using different drives for source/dest,
having SSD hardware etc.

In my experience, tar of 4GiB plus 1Gbit transfer plus untar should not
take more than 5-10 minutes total.

HTH, :-)
Marko