Re: Fc20, systemd, and nonexistent services

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running a new FC20 system, one that was upgraded.
>
> I'm using:
>
> systemctl -t service -a -l
>
> to check services and I'm seeing several that I don't have installed,
> exim (MTA?) for example. I've tried using systemctl disable to remove
> the service, and don't get anything back.
>
> How do I prune my services list/get the unknown or uninstalled packages out?

Don't pass the '-a' argument to systemctl.  ;-)

Using the '-a' argument makes systemctl display every unit it knows
about regardless of whether it's installed or not.  There are several
ways it can know about services that don't exist.  The most common
case where this happens is if a service wants to make sure it is
started before/after another service, but doesn't necessarily require
it to be running if it's not installed.  It defines Before/After
dependencies for such services in its systemd unit file, which affects
the ordering of services being started, but not whether they're
actually started.

So you probably have some service that wants to start before/after
exim, but doesn't necessarily require it to be there. (Perhaps because
it could work with sendmail or postfix as well).  This is nothing to
worry about, hence why systemctl hides it from you unless you
specifically unearth it with the '-a' argument.

If you want to view all running services and ones systemd tried and
failed to start, just use 'systemctl -t service'.  If you want to see
a list of all services and whether they're enabled, disabled, or
statically enabled, use 'systemctl -t service list-unit-files'.

-T.C.