Using Kino for video capture

I know Kino is officially obsoleted by its maintainer, but I have chosen
to TRY using it anyway, since it'll do video capture from firewire, AND
let me see what it's capturing.

So, I've got a bazillion commercial VHS tapes, a considerable number of
them are series of TV shows, so I'm to have to spring the cash to buy
them again in DVD format.

I have a "Dazzle Hollywood DV BRidge", feeding analog signal into it
from the VCR, and digital via Firewire from there to my PC.

I can start up the vcr and watch it play in Kino, and see Kino capturing
the data into files that grow real big, real fast.

My problem is that Kino isn't naming the files properly,... it gives
a basename, the date, the time, and a suffix. The only trouble is, the
times it uses are all zeroes.

That has the un-helpful result of each file overwriting the previous one,
as Kino splits the capture into multiple files, as they all have the
same filename.

I don't see any options in Kino for controlling how it derives the time,
or how it chooses the name, so I may not be able to use Kino for this
project. (I can try dvgrab, but it's nice to be able to see what it's
doing, at least until I become comfortable with the process.)

Do any of you have any experience with Kino that might help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------