Re: Creating multiple BTRFS partitions

On Feb 8, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2014, at 10:51 AM, sam tygier <samtygier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to install with an encrypted /home, but unencrypted /. I would also like to use BTRFS.
>>
>> Currently if I try to make 2 BTRFS partitions anaconda actually makes 1 partition with 2 subvolumes. This means they will share encryption options. I think this is because anaconda considers BTRFS to be a 'Partitioning Scheme' rather than a partition type.
>>
>> I also tried creating the root partition in gparted, and selecting it in anaconda, but I am told "You must create a new filesystem on the root device".
>>
>> The other work around I though of would be to create the partitions as ext4, and then convert them after, and then defrag and rebalance. But that seems pretty inefficient.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>

> 1. Click on /home, confirm Device Type is set to Btrfs, then click on Modify. In the Configure Volume panel, change the volume name to something sensible like maybe f20home, check Encrypt, and Size Policy to Fixed. Then click Save. Then click Update Settings.
>
> 2. Click on /, confirm Device Type is set to Btrfs, then click first on the Volume pop-up and choose to create a new volume and give it a new name. Make sure Encrypt is unchecked. Set size to either Fixed with a particular value or As Large As Possible. Click Save. Click Update Settings.

I think the singular thing that's key to making this work: Creating a new Btrfs volume for one of them, with separate names. And optionally what seems to make it work out better is to pin one of them with Size Policy of Fixed, and an explicit size.

In theory if you leave the two volumes with Size Policy set to Automatic that it'll still work itself out. But I didn't test leaving both to Automatic. I tested leaving / at Automatic and it actually left a bunch of free space unallocated so I went back and changed its policy to As Large as Possibe.

Another key element is clicking Update Settings before you click on any other mount point.

Chris Murphy