Re: Development question

On 2/7/14, 5:17 PM, Doug wrote:
On 02/07/2014 04:54 PM, CS DBA wrote:
Hi All;

It seems to me that the "marriage" that Microsoft & Apple enjoy per hardware designed for their software gives them a huge advantage. I see that the Linux community is quite good at coming up with drivers, software, etc for hardware after the fact.

I wonder, what could be accomplished if a Linux based distro had the same advantage? I'm in the early stages of researching just such a company.

We'll be setting up some infrastructure around community involvement and feedback, however I'd be interested in any initial feedback you all have.

I'm thinking that the OS would remain fully open source (GPL) and we'd license the hardware specs in the same way.

Then we could release laptops & desktops that truly have an advantage. The company would couple a solid Linux distro with it's own tweaks (polish & branding & such) coupled with our own hardware.

I suspect that instead of waiting for the current HW vendors to release new hardware and then quickly figure out how to interface with it we can put effort into polish and functionality and quickly become the trend setters for MS and Apple to follow.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Sounds good, but bucking the likes of MS and Apple? And I think it would be difficult to compete hardware-wise, since you wouldn't have the huge base to get the advantage of large quantity hardware buys. Of course, Apple has that, but still charges an arm and a leg for their hardware. . . . If you do pursue this, I hope you don't commit to something like Ubuntu, with its hated interface. Your system should offer some choices.

we will be all about choices, thanks for the feedback

Good luck!

--doug