Re: F20 On-screen keyboard for login

On 1/10/14, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mellertson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It has been a while, so I do not remember the exact details. But
> what you need to do is have your display manager launch the virtual
> keyboard as part of the init sequence. I am guessing that for gdm,
> you would put it in the /etc/gdm/custom.conf. You may also want to
> look at the /etc/X11/xinit directory tree. Add a file in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinit.d?
>
> I am sorry I can not remember how to do it, but it has probably
> changed sense the last time I did it. This should at least get you
> pointed in the correct direction...

Unfortunately, it seems that the approach you took, which also
subsequently led me to discover methods using gconf to specify login
screen options, does not work anymore in the newer Gnome. Overall, it
seems the new settings API and dconf are somewhat still premature and
incomplete with apparently related options deprecated without
replacements. Apparently, in older Gnome versions, there would had
been an accessibility option at login to enable onscreen keyboard.

So it seemed that I might had saved some time if I opt to go with
F18/F19 instead. But since I already downloaded a bunch of distros in
anticipation that F20 might not work on a keyboard-less tablet, I
decided to give one of them with an older release date (hoping to
avoid the new Gnome) a try before downloading F18 and F19.

With reluctance, I have to say the older Ubuntu 13.10 worked right out
of the box including accessibility options even during installation.