No Catalyst in RPM Fusion for F20, no updates for F19 -- any ideas going forward

As many of you may know, the maintainer of the AMD Catalyst driver in
RPM Fusion has decided to stop work on the package, and as a result
there is no packaged version of the Catalyst/fglrx driver for Fedora
20 -- and no updates of the driver for Fedora 19.

Yes, the Radeon driver has made great strides in recent months, but
for my hardware -- a newish AMD APU -- the Catalyst driver is still
far and away better in terms of speed, CPU load and functionality.

I recommend NEVER installing AMD Catalyst directly from upstream, but
I've tried over the past few days -- against my own advice -- to do
just that. I have been unsuccessful in installing Catalyst (and still
don't recommend doing it).

I'd love to know enough about Fedora, video drivers and the like to do
the packaging of Catalyst myself, but I am not anywhere near being
able to do that (especially since I can't even get the upstream code
to install successfully).

Using the open Radeon driver is great if that's what you want to do,
and in the past I've been among those who would rather run the free
driver because of all the advantages it provides by not being
closed-source.

But now I find myself wanting and needing Catalyst, and in Fedora 20
I'm unable to get it.

If there were any advance warning, I would have NEVER upgraded from
F19 to F20 and would have avoided new kernels until the situation was
somehow resolved.

I like freedom, but part of that is freedom of choice, and right now
freedom of choice and the best technical solution are really lacking
for AMD video in Fedora.

I've seen some talk here and there about the lack of AMD Catalyst
packaged for Fedora, but overall I hear a collective "meh" from the
community.

There's a lot to like about Fedora, and I'd love to stay with it, but
the lack of this driver in the short term is really driving me away.
Maybe the Linux kernel, Mesa, Xorg, or something else will improve
performance on my hardware, but the promise of greatly improved
performance right now in just about any other distribution makes it
hard for me to stick with Fedora.

If nobody cares, and nothing's going to change in terms of a packaged
Catalyst, I'd sure like to know now.

But as a formerly happy Fedora user, this is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

--
Steven Rosenberg
http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog