en.mo.gz not found/invalid magic number

In my research I've not yet seen anything for Fedora about this, and
certainly not the combination of two errors.  I'll try to be as complete
as possible:

After a power loss, I was unable to reboot my desktop machine (Dell
Dimension E521 running F19).  Upon first hitting grub, I received large
numbers of syntax/bad command errors.  I was eventually dumped into a
grub shell, but did not know enough to do anything inside it.  Using the
F19 install disk I was able to get to an Anaconda shell. I noted that
while my root directory was mounted to /mnt/sysimage, the /boot
partition was not mounted and I couldn't figure out how to get to it
manually.

I found that adding GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y to /etc/default/grub allowed
me to proceed, at least somewhat.  Now, at least, I am able to get
further in grub.  Just before the grub menu, I see the first error:

	error: file `/brub2/locale/en.mo.gz' not found

This flashes for a brief moment, and then I am presented with the kernel
choice menu.  I see three different options there: two kernels and the
F19 rescue option.  I can boot from neither kernel - I get the following:

	error: invalid magic number
	error: you need to load the kernel first

	Press any key to continue...

And if I wait long enough it boots into the WinXP partition.
If I use the rescue option I gen what looks like a nasty dump, including
what appears to be errors in LVM loading lv_root.  I do not know how to
capture that output.

The solutions I've found so far (at least for the first) seem to revolve
around accessing /boot (for example, ensuring that en.mo is in
/boot/grub2) but I've not yet found a way to get there.  The solutions
to the second seem to all revolve around booting under another, working,
kernel - which I can't seem to do.

It had been operating properly before the power cut, but it had been
some time (and a number of updates) since it had been rebooted.  Does
anyone have suggestions?

 -Don