Re: akmod isn't reliable

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 21:48:32 +0000
"Powell, Michael" <Michael_Powell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess this is more of a general question, but sometimes after
> updating the kernel or nvidia drivers an akmod isn't regenerated and
> my system will begin to boot, fedora logo will show, but eventually
> it will dump to the systemd log of services being started and just
> sit there. I have all the required dependencies before the update
> because I can simply reboot to runlevel 1 or if I have an older
> kernel boot it and then manually `akmods --kernels`.
>
> So the question is... why isn't regeneration of the akmod reliable?

I think it is reliable, you just need to wait it out. The rebuilding of
akmod is being done for a given kernel while that kernel is running, so
when you update the kernel, the akmod doesn't get built until you boot
into it. And when you boot into it, systemd will at some point try to
activate the akmod, find out that it doesn't exist, fail, and initiate
a rebuild.

Well, that's partially true. akmods also tries to build the module after kernel installation using the kernel posttrans trigger or something like that, there's a special directory where you can put script which will be run after a kernel is installed. DKMS uses the same method. There is where it SHOULD happen. The problem is that it's totally non-interactive and there's no notification to use user if it fails...

It also attempts to build kernel modules on startup AND shutdown. So there is more or less 3 attempts. The problem is if it fails one of them it will usually fail all of them.

Richard