Re: F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 14:00:50 -0500,
  Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It isn't? Are you saying I was not clear in saying this is for local deliveries only, or are you saying that for some users, they may not want local delivery, as they don't read mail that is locally stored in /var/mail/user?

The wording could have been better, but I do think that for many users, they aren't likely to be reading mail from the local machine (and less likely to be reading root's email). So for mail delivery I think it would make more sense to be able to easily send it to remote addresses rather than trying to drop it into /var/mail.

More so than going through the logs. Plus you probably can configure your mail reader to also process the local store as well as your mail server. Got to look at Thunderbird to see if I can...

Some clients can definitely do that, but it isn't going to obvious to people that they should do that. I think it's going to be sysadm types that worry about what's getting sent to root on their machines.

And logwatch is all about taking logs and summarizing them. Log that as well? Seems a little convoluted.

It depends on how much value is added by the short logs.

I think for normal desktop users, desktop alerts of abnormal activity is going to be more useful then log extracts. However, currently logwatch reports a lot of stuff that isn't really important and you wouldn't want generate alerts for everything it currently reports on.