Re: F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

On 12/30/2013 01:34 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:24:07 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

An unintended consequence of no default MTA in f20 is no local
deliver of system mail.  It IS possible to just ignore (or leave it
to the logs) stuff going on in a desktop system, but services like
logwatch are very helpful to maintain a healthy system.  Plus there
is cron for regular tasks we like to perform.
If you want logwatch or have cron jobs with output you wish, feel free
to install a MTA and configure it.
been there done that. Looking to follow the flow of no MTA. See if it can be done.

So no MTA seems good IF we can configure mailx to do the local
deliveries.  I am kind of assuming that some changes to /etc/mail.rc
might do part of the job.  Probably some /bin/sendmail script that
maps sendmail arguments to a mailx call.  Plus if you DO install
sendmail or postfix, it should undo this setup.
mailx is not a MTA.

It is a mail sender, typically to an MTA, but can it, or something else 'just' append /var/mail/user/ ?

I suppose I should submit a bug report on this as the best way to get
the developer's attention.

But does anyone have any good recommendation(s) on how to do this? I
kind of like no MTA on resource straped systems, but we need to
address local delivery.
Those systems that need delivery can install a MTA. ;)

Local delivery only, so nothing to transfer  ;)

If you just want emails to go to another provider and your machine is
connected to the internet, ssmtp is a good option (very simple to
configure, just handles remote delivery).

No. Local store only. If I want it to go to another server, I will use an MTA. Though thinking about it, if I am building a slim NAS with the arm distro, I might really WANT to use smtp... hmmm. But that is another project.