Re: gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Michael Schwendt writes:

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:02:29 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> * Hit the top right corner with the pointer. Doesn't work. Hit it again. The
> favourites bar slides in from the right. Yay.

Pressing the Meta-key (aka "Super"-key or "Windows"-key) is a more
convenient way, also just to get to the Activities overview screen.

Much better than moving the mouse long ways over the entire screen.
(Guess what I thought when during F20 development for a short time I had
to open the screenlock with a mouse gesture because no key would do it.)

Alt+TAB for switching through active windows as well as Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down
for switching virtual desktops still works, too.

> * A new minituarized window appears somewhere else on the screen.

Where should it appear instead? If there's enough free space on the screen

The point is that by this time I've already done more work than I do with a simple double-click.

> * Click it to move the input focus there.

A matter of taste. I'm still a fan of "focus follows mouse", so I don't
need to click windows to activate them.

I use focus follows mouse too. But when I did my little experiment, the "favorites" bar was still slid out after the new gnome-terminal window appeared, and I had to click on the new window in order to return to the desktop, and the new window.

> Versus:
>
> * Move the pointer to an icon on the desktop. Double click on it.

Works only if no windows hide those icons. Or else you need to unhide the
desktop first.

Except that when I'm working, I make sure that the small part of the screen where my important icons live remains unobstructed, and accessible.

The point is that a traditional desktop paradigm is infinitely more flexible, and results in faster, more optimum workflow. I can open new terminal windows without letting go of the mouse. The Gnome way takes longer, involves more steps, and requires keyboard action.

And now, in F20, Gnome found more ways to break traditional desktops, by finding a way to have gnome-terminal open in / instead of the home directory, when it gets launched from a desktop icon.

> WTF is wrong with Gnome? Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.

FWIW, I'm not here to defend it. I just use it (or more precisely, the
programs on the screen), and I'm glad the default GNOME Shell screen is
not overloaded with lots of applets and distraction anymore.

Good for you.