Re: Need hlep with LVM -

On Dec 20, 2013, at 11:57 AM, "Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is installed in less than 60 GiB's which leaves the rest of the drive unused, not what I wanted. I guess it preserved a /home partition for me? I certainly didn't want it to take up the remainder of the drive. I've been looking at man pages and googling and fixing this may be simple but I am having a lot of trouble understanding what  needs to be done. Is there a clear step by step set of instructions for fixing this?

No, I doubt you'll get any "install to LVM by default" proponent to actually produce a custom step by step for you, even though they succeeded at getting a reversal to the installer team's decision dropping LVM by default. And it was dropped for the very reason exemplified in this thread: it's overly complicated. The easiest step by step for you is to start over rather than waiting for someone who thinks LVM is easy, intuitive, flexible, and ideal for hapless users being subjected to it by default.

But before you start over, questions:

Based on the /dev/sdb layout it seems you used custom/manual partitioning in the installer, and created all of these mount points manually, is that correct? If so why not use Guided partitioning with either partition scheme set to LVM or Standard Partitioning? It seems you'd have ended up with what you wanted:

~54GB for root
~577GB for home

The rest for boot and swap. That seems reasonable. If you have other requirements please be specific what you want the various sizes to be?

Chris Murphy