Re: f20 - gedit

On 12/20/2013 05:43 AM, Ahmad Samir wrote:
On 20 December 2013 03:05, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/19/2013 07:45 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:

On 12/19/2013 07:16 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:

On 12/19/2013 08:35 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Confirm
used dconf-editor instead to set the overrides and now those entries
appear within gedit.
What did you change?  I just went through all of dconf-editor listed
items and did not recognize anything to change that would turn on
settings/preferences in gedit let alone directly turn off word wrap.
When you open gedit in Fed20 + Gnome-3.10 a gedit icon appears in the
top bar. If you click on this and choose 'preferences' you will see
under 'Text Wrapping' the entries: 'enable text wrapping' and 'do not
split words over two lines'. Is this what you are looking for.

I assume you are using standard Gnome-3.10 and not "classic mode".
I know nothing about "classic mode" (don't use it).

Is this icon not visible in your install?

Fresh install.  Have not applied the updates yet.

Please, do it right now.

I see that gedit icon
on the top bar once gedit is running.  It has a down arrow right next
it.  I assume that lets me switch between copies of gedit if more than
one is open.

Why don't you try instead of assume? The down arrow is not for
switching between different copies of the same application, but for a
drop down menu. You should click on it to see its behavior by
yourself, it is cheap!!

I DID try clicking on the arrow and nothing happened.  Since I only had
one gedit opened, I tried to figure it out.  Now that you say this is
what it does, I realized where I MAY be having troubles.  I am in
terminal, sued, and running gedit to edit the yum.conf.d files! So I
opened terminal regular and ran gedit & and sure enough it works and I
can set preferences no problem for ME and turn off word wrap.

But I cannot do it for root's use of gedit to edit config files.  :(

You are right about this, because I opened /etc/yum.conf with gedit using
sudo and I'm not able to open the drop down menu. Maybe this behavior is
intentional, but I'm not sure.

So, I should give it a try and just put up with the wrapping. Afterall vi
wraps, but actually does it smarter.

I can see why, as the top bar is running as ME and should NOT let ME set
preferences for gedit as root.  But that begs the question on HOW to change
the preferences for root.

I tested and yes the AppMenu doesn't show for apps run as root.

As I posted before, you can force apps run under gnome-shell to show
all their menus in their own windows and not rely on AppMenu by
running this command as user in terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
"{'Gtk/ShellShowsAppMenu': <0>}"

ALL RIGHT!!!! This works! Thanks for all the private help to run it right as user. gedit shelled to root now has preferences so I was able to turn off text wrap.

Also makes Nautilus behave better IMHO. But I still can't get trees instead of places. Have found out how to get folders showing trees, but not on the left. Makes dragging and dropping a real drag.