Re: Why some say "rpm hell"

Allegedly, on or about 27 November 2013, David sent:
> As I said... Me - The ordinary user that uses an Email Client has no
> problems with what AP and Gmail is/are doing. His posts, for me fall
> in the proper place in the thread(s) on this list.
>
> So that means?? Maybe you 'Linux geeks' with your 'fancy Linux Geek
> stuff' running have made this a problem? For you.  :-)
>
> Linux (geeks) has/have a tendency to take simple things, that work for
> most, and then those Linux Geeks take it to the point that it no
> longer works?  <BIG grin>

My take on your response would be that you probably are not "threading"
messages, merely "sorting" by subject.  Which is an entirely different
thing.  There are a number of things wrong with that approach, chief in
my mind are that:

1. You cannot easily follow an on-going thread when someone changes the
subject line, yet it is still part of the same thread, even more so when
it happens more than once.  And, yes, changing the subject within a
thread is sensible in some cases (e.g. "solved" cases).  But mailing
list servers that bung in [list name] into the subject line are a
classic case of nuisance subject changes.

2. The sequence of replies to replies can't be accurately done without
using threading headers, sorting by subject and date doesn't do it.
This becomes important with protracted threads.

And I don't care whether *you* sort by threads, or not.  Nor care
whether you give a damn about threading.  What I do care about is when
people bugger up the ability for threading to work by using clients that
mangle the headers.

Or let's put it another way.  How long would it take you to get
seriously inconvenienced if another header was destroyed?  Such as all
messages on this list having no subject line, at all, never mind the
typical useless ones people write.  It doesn't take much to mess things
up.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.