Re: accessing a network scanning device

Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantowicz@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 23.11.2013 20:04, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how would I go about accessing a scanning device that is connected via
>> network?
>>
>> The device is an OKI MB441 and supports TWAIN and WSD (whatever that is
>> ...).  Google hasn't been helpful at all with this.  Everyone seems to
>> assume that you would connect the scanner to a computer through USB,
>> SCSI or a parallel cable and make the scanner available on the network
>> through the computer it is connected to by running saned on the
>> computer.
>>
>> I have it the other way round, the scanner is on the network and I want
>> to access it from my computer via network.
>>

> I don't know this exact device, but I'd try connecting it via Ethernet
> (device spec shows that it has Ethernet card and device supports quite
> advanced options regarding network connections.) After assigning IP
> address to this device check using web browser if there is any kind of
> web base management interface. It's highly probable that software
> attached to this device is designed only for Windows.

It is already connected and working.  The scanning functionality can be
used through the panel on the device itself and has proven very useful.
Settings can be made through the web interface.

However, I've never seen a networked scanner with which you were able to
use some sort of scanning software that lets you make settings and pick
the area you want to scan for every scan you make like such software
exists for scanners connected to a computer by SCSI or USB or a parallel
cable.

Since the device in question supports TWAIN and TWAIN, iirc, was
supposed to be some sort of standard for scanners, isn't there some
software, like sane, that supports scanning over the network?

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)