Re: Why some say "rpm hell"

Tim:
>> It doesn't require gmail to get messages threaded.  Threading is done by
>> the message headers, each message has its own message ID, each reply has
>> another header saying which message ID it's in reply to, and there's
>> another header listing all the message IDs that belong in the same
>> thread.
>>
>> The last one (in-reply-to) is used by mail clients to group all messages
>> in a thread together.  The middle one (references) is used to thread
>> them all together in the right order.

Some corrections.  The first paragraph described the in-reply to headers
in the *middle*, and the references headers *last*.

>> Any mail client can do this.  Any mail client can break this, and some
>> do, by not not adding in-reply-to headers, and not adding and
>> maintaining the references header.  When they do that, they bugger it up
>> for everyone else, as the data has been lost.

AP:
> Thanks for taking time to explain this, I am re-reading to fully grasp it.

Unfortunately, your mail client is one of those that stuffs up
threading.  There was no in-reply-to, nor a references header, in your
email.  Not only has it not inserted them, it's removed the references
headers that were already there (written by the other replies).  This
makes it impossible for other clients to view your message in context
with other messages.

I expected better of gmail.  Do you use gmail as a collection point,
then write your replies with something else?

Compliant mail clients *should* include those headers, perhaps even
*must*, but it's been years since I've looked at mail RFCs (they're
inserted when you reply).  It doesn't matter whether *you* want
threading in your client, or not.  *That* is a choice for how you
display your mail.  The threading headers are for everyone else to be
able to use.

What happens when you break mail, in one way or another:  Your replies
are not seen with the messages that they're related to.  They get
missed, they get overlooked.  It gets very hard to follow an ongoing
thread when all the messages in that thread are scattered randomly
amongst hundreds of other messages, especially when it's important to be
able to follow the progress of something along the thread (and no,
quoting the entire thread in each message is not the answer).  Some
helpers will give up helping after finding it a pain to follow an
prolonged on-going conversation.  Some will give up immediately.  And if
this converstion was on traditional usenet, rather than an email list,
you'd be needing flameproof pants by now.  ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.