Re: OT- Getting Firefox GMail Old Compose (for a while) - Re: Why some say "rpm hell"

On 11/23/2013 09:13 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you post some instructions ? (for getting GMail usable again after "New Compose")

Get UAControl from here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uacontrol/

Once installed, Go to Tools->UAControl Options
Click "add new site", type as site mail.google.com
and as user-agent:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0)

That will give you Old Compose

Explanation:
The Mail.google.com coders couldn't get the "New Compose" to work on IE8, so if Google detects you're using IE8 on GMail, it gives you the "Old Compose".

UAControl fakes the user agent ONLY for the domains you specify (in this case, mail.google.com).

It will, of course, only work for as long as google keeps supporting IE8 for GMail, which likely won't be for very long, as they tend to follow Microsoft in their planned obsolescence cycles. :-(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

...but in the meantime it's a good stopgap solution.

The real solution will be for Google to permanently enable old compose as an option for those of us who prefer it.
There's a petition here:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/128/981/668/google-gmail-please-go-back-to-the-old-version-of-compose-email/

Sadly only 700 signatures so far...

If History is any indication, Google engineers in their Ivory Towers don't give a rat's *ss about what we think... they think they know better...

Oh, and you asked about the other part of the solution, it's the Firefox Stylish extension, grab it from here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stylish/

It lets you use any of the user developed styles on userstyles.org, including these for GMail:
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=gmail

My personal preference (which some surely might find odd but it suits my work style and my eyes are pleased with it) is the black background, green text "terminal" theme (that used to be great as developed by Google, until they turned it fugly with white-on-black text, and white background on compose),
http://userstyles.org/styles/71798/gmail-terminal-all-black-background

It looks like this: :)

Hope this helps you, and some other Fedora users...

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Wow!....some of those look great! And while I tend to stick to my tried & true Thunderbird for emailing.....my younger brother is the "web mail King"!...he's gonna love this info! thanks so much!!

EGO II