Re: Why some say "rpm hell"

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Better/equal in precisely what?

Well, now got the idea that work is being done very well in rpm
distributions, so actually what I earlier asked, should not be asked.
Anyways, I liked the rpm because at least all of my (noob's) work is
smoothly done. Still I was curious only to know the people's view...

Better/equal in the sense of the time it takes. Also, sometimes, when
some (or more) unneeded packages reside in the system, even when they
are not used but they rest in the hard-disk. Okay well, they don't
take much capacity, so I let them sleep always. But this happens in
rpm based distros which I came to know.

>> ...or why did this bifurcation took place if the Linux is only the kernel...?

> Because there are different distributions which all think that their
> own package management system is most suited. There's more than one way to
> do it...

Oh I see. And this may be the same reason why even the typical
distributions like Gentoo got evolved!

> What kind of distribution somebody uses is a matter of taste, needs
> and other more or less subjective factors, and the package manager is
> a part of it.

Exactly true. Its more like the analogy of cars. Some people prefer
Ford, some Chevrolet, others like Mercedes-Benz better, but ultimately
they all have an engine that runs on fuel.

But I am happy with rpm now. I was a happy Fedora user and would
eventually try it back, though currently running openSUSE 12.3 with
the same happiness. I was even confused between the many distributions
but came to understand the underneath strategy to install one and use
it!

I regret that I don't get much time to learn such a wonderful
technology of Linux!!