Re: How avoid unwanted systemd-journald?

Sorry for posting again so soon and replying to myself, but I just
noticed one very useful thing that might help quite much in the
specific problem you described:

2013/11/18 Joonas Sarajärvi <muep@xxxxxx>:
> 2013/11/18 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> the other day, I wanted to
>> investigate why my laptop shutdown suddenly (I think it was
>> overheating), but there was no reasonable way for me to filter the cpu
>> specific messages.
> I am not sure where that message in particular would show up.

Likely you would not want to look for a specific subsystem anyway
Often there are many things in the system interacting and it is nicer
to look at the whole log in the correct point in time. One nice filter
criteria is to filter by boot id with the --boot option of journalctl

journalctl --boot

The above would show just the messages that were gathered during the
currently ongoing boot cycle. Now if you want messages of the previous
boot, --boot allows you to specify an offset. So if you pass -1 there
like this, it would show you messages from the previous boot cycle:
journalctl --boot=-1

If you already booted many times, just grow the number after the minus
sign to find the one that ended before you intended it to. Then just
scroll to the end (the > key usually does this in less) to see what
were the last messages that were recorded before shutdown.

In some cases like a kernel panic, you will likely not have the kernel
panic message in the log. This is because usually at the point where
the kernel has the message, it will not write anything to disk
anymore. If there is nothing interesting in the end of that boot, you
should also check if the following boot has a note about the journal
being rotated due to not being properly closed. This would at least
let you know that you miss some messages.

-Joonas