Re: how to clear YouTube ghost imagery from display without logging out

On 16 November 2013 08:48, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> T.C.
>
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth
> <tchollingsworth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Darlene Wallach
>> <freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> It seems to be happening a lot now. When I watch a YouTube video it leaves
>>> ghost image of the YouTube screen. Is there a way to clear my display
>>> without logging out?
>>
>> Invoke your desktop's Run Command interface (usually ALT+F2 does the
>> trick) or a terminal and use it to run `xkill`.  This will turn your
>> mouse arrow into an X, and you can then click on anything on your
>> screen to kill the process underlying it.  Please note that in the
>> case of Flash this may take your entire browser process along with it.
>
> What is weird is the "ghost image" shows up on each workspace not just
> the one where I played the YouTube video. I can also see the traces of
> the "ghost image" on other YouTube videos I play if I have not logged
> out and logged back in again. So I don't know how the "xkill" would
> work on other workspaces.

Do you use the flash plugin for youtube or something else? (Native
HTML5/WebM support or gnash for instance.) It's quite common for flash
video to get displayed as an overlay, which is why this problem
persists across desktops. The graphics driver is often involved, what
graphics card do you have and what version of fedora?

To kill the flash plugin you can try
pkill plugin-container
- though that will kill anything running called 'plugin-container'.
Odds are flash is the only thing, but you may want to check first.

Other things to try:
1. Make sure flash, Firefox, Fedora are up to date. Check
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ (11.2.202.327 here).
2. If you're using nvidia, give the nouveau driver a go, I'm not
having this problem at the minute (though have seen similar ones in
the past).
3. Right click on the video, choose settings and change the display
settings (left tab), either enable or disable hardware acceleration
and see if that helps.
4. Try gnash, or the opt in HTML5 trial (though the latter means you
wont be able to access lots of videos).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk