Re: DNS problem -

On 11Nov2013 20:21, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Source: http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/01/how-viasats-exede-makes-satellite-broadband-not-suck/
>
> He makes it sound that it's essential to stick with their software,
> some parts of which are apparently contained in the modem. As I said
> I am quite happy with the service, it normally works well and there
> is nothing better available to me. [...]
> If anyone understands what they are doing and can explain it to me I
> am interested.

If it is like the setup in our Gilat satellite modem here, there are two
primary things going on. (Based on reading scattered stuff on the net
when trying to debug an annoying problem some months ago.)

The modem/satellite system does HTTP prefetching; when you fetch a
web page the traffic is sniffed and requests for the page content
(images etc) are prefetched. This step may happen upstream of the
modem (eg in a proxy at the ISP) or it may happen in the modem -
this is unclear; that "HTTP acceleration" is a modem-side setting
suggests it may be happening in the modem.

The other thing the Gilat modems do is "TCP acceleration". I gather
a TCP connection is terminated localy at the modem, and the data
stream sent with a more efficient protocol over the satellite section
of the link and a TCP connection established on the upstream (far
side of you->satellite->downstation) to carry the traffic from there
to the target server. The TCP handshake takes place in real time -
the modem does not falsely complete a connection only to have
upstream fail, but past that the traffic is proxied.

This may sound ineffectual, but in fact it has throughput benefits.

The TCP connection from upstream to the target server can transfer
data rapidly across the fast and low latency ground based network.
The data beamed to/from the satellite is sent directly using the
satellite specific data integrity protocols without the TCP packet
tracking protocol, and the data from your host to the modem travels
with low round trip latency to/from the modem

I'm speaking here of the TCP packet ACK stuff, which is now you<->modem
and upstream<->target-server.

This results in greater throughput.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>

I took that Reading Dynamics course, and it really works.  I read _War and
Peace_ in an hour last night.  It's about Russia.       - W. Allen, ca. 1962