FedUp makes F17 no longer boot after botched "upgrade" to F19

System: AMD Opteron 2216 server, 2GB RAM
250GB SATA-300 HDD
ATI X1600 PCI-X video card
Running Fedora 17 on an encrypted volume

The system was decomissioned pending hardware repairs for quite a while (since July-2012). Once I finally gotba spare new hdd and monitor, it was brought back to life and fetched over 1,400 updates. After that it rebooted fine to an "as fresh as one can possibly get a F17 installation".

So I thought it would be a nice opportunity to test that "FedUp" thing I keep reading about... and preserve my nice Gnome 3 tweaks of F17 in the latest greatest F19....

I told FedUp to use a repo upgrade, as the FedUp wiki recommended that approach over media install. I thought it'd be also a nice opportunity to test my 30Mbit FTTH link. Before I knew it it was fetching packages like there was no tomorrow and the list of packages was scrolling on the screen faster than one could read it.

It went through several install phases until I was told everything was ready to proceed with the upgrade which would begin after the reboot.

After the reboot a new entry appeared on the Grub boot menu labeled "FedUp upgrade" or something along those lines.

After selecting it, the familiar "f"logk appeared alomg with a progress bar below it. The progress bar completed to 99% or therabouts and then it stalled. It could have been at 95% or 100% I do not recall (there also was no numerical reading next to the progress bar so it was hard to tell the percentage of completion.

After I few minutes it just stood there... I thought Id give it a couple of HOURS so I could conclude if the process hanged or was just waiting too long.

Two hours later I came back and saw the screen with the same output I saw before.

So I grudgingly hit the reset button, thinking that maybe if the process was incomplete it would re-start after a reboot or Id be shown with some error mesage about the outcome of the upgrade process.

I was wrong.

In the current state, boot menu no longer shows the FedUp option, only showing:

Fedora (3.9.10-100.fc17.i686)
Fedora (3.9.10-100.fc17.i686.PAE)
Fedora (3.4.6-2.fc17.i686)
Fedora (3.4.6-2.fc17.i686.PAE)
Fedora (3.4.4-3.fc17.i686.PAE)
Fedora (3.4.4-3.fc17.i686)

NO MATTER what I select, it hangs. Ive tried all kernels. It hangs right after the [f] logo has its glow, and just stays there.

I would really appreciate any ideas of what might have gone wrong, and I hope my feedback is of use to FedUp devs. If you want logs etc, I can look them up and paste to pastebin... as long as I can get back a working bootable system in the first place.

Thanks in advance...
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell