Re: hibernate/suspend immediately resumes [SOLVED]

I remain surprised that nobody seems interested in this issue or that
nobody else seems to have seen it. I discovered while searching that I
myself posted about a similar problem on a different machine a couple of
years ago, and got zero response then too.

That said, what happened is that I built another machine from an
identical case, motherboard, and CPU, and lo and behold, the new machine
did not exhibit this problem; hibernate and suspend worked flawlessly.
It's a bit annoying that moving the mouse or pressing ANY key wakes the
machine up again, even from hibernation. Even bumping into the desk can
jiggle the mouse enough to wake the machine up, and there doesn't seem
to be any way to disable that. I couldn't find any relevant BIOS
settings, and even unbinding all the drivers and disabling all the ACPI
wakeups did not stop this from happening. But I can live with this.

So it had to come down to the few hardware differences between the two
machines, which means the PCI expansion cards. I tried removing them one
at a time from the problem system, and found that the problem was caused
by a Belkin x1 card that provides two Firewire and two USB 3.0 ports.
Remove this card from the system, and suspend and hibernate work again.

But I do need to have Firewire ports somewhere; I've got external disk
drives that only have Firewire or (slow) USB 1.0 ports. So I'll put the
Belkin card into the server/router box instead of the desktop box. The
server is up all the time so I don't care if it can't suspend. Not
ideal, but workable.

So I wouldn't really say I "solved" the problem, but I found a way to
work around it.

And for completeness: I did have this same card in the old machine that
had the same issue. That machine was weirder because hibernate worked
but suspend didn't.

--Greg