Re: Mouse button debouncing

On 20/08/13 18:04, David G. Miller wrote:
John Pilkington <J.Pilk <at> tesco.net> writes:

On 19/08/13 21:22, David G. Miller wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:

I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse which I'm fairly sure has a hardware
problem. The left button frequently issues two click events in rapid
succession when pressed only once. Is there a way to tell X that two
such events in under some threshold should count as one? I've Googled
and other people have had similar problems (not specifically with this
mouse) but there are no clear answers. I'd rather not have to drop $50
or so on a new BT mouse.

Using KDE 4.10 under Fedora 19, up to date as of today.

poc

Interesting.  I have a USB Logitech mouse that I had assumed was
just "clicked out" becuase it's doing the same thing.  Really tired of
doing things like deleting more than one e-mail at a time because the
mouse is sending multiple button action events for what is supposed to
be
a single click.  I've also had problems with "drag and drop" type
actions
(i.e., both a button down and a button up event appear to be sent even
though I'm holding the button down) so just "fixing" the double click
sensetivity isn't the end of your mouse problem.  Replace or, as per
the
other response, repair it (I'd probably burn the house down if I went
after it with a soldering iron so I'll replace mine).

Cheers,
Dave

This sounds very much like what I have been seeing recently.  It's
almost as if clicks are being fed into a buffer in groups and counted
out in groups of a different size; there seems to be something cyclical
about it.  I think it started around the time that I installed kde
4.10.5 on f17 immediately before f17 went EOL, in response to a plea for
karma from Rex.  Since then I've FedUp-ed to f18 and mouse control is
still workable but irritatingly unpredictable.  Gateway USB optical
mouse, ~2006.

John P

"Irritatingly unpredictable" is exactly what I was seeing.  It would work
fine for a while and then switch to ptoducing a random number of button
events for a given click.  I could even see this if I was attempting
to "drag and drop" something since the hand icon would litterally open and
close even though the left button was being continuously held down.  I
would have to wait until it setlled into a "button down" state before
dragging whatever it was.  Even then it would sometimes randomly produce
a "button up" event and the drag would end up someplace other than what I
wanted.

New mouse installed last night.  Works great.  A click is a click is a
click....  It's some OEM brand I had never heard of but it was the only
USB wired mouse that my local Best Buy had.  I usually buy hardware at our
local Micro Center but that is about 15 miles away and I couldn't see
going that far just to save a couple of bucks and get their never heard of
before brnad OEM mouse.

Cheers,
Dave

Hmm. I was surprised to see that most of the responses assumed that the problem was in the hardware, since I had assumed that I was just seeing the results of a misconfiguration. But USB mice are easy to swap and I have others. I now have kmousetool running too, and believe that I have selected its waitforwm option, which seemed relevant because windows had been maximising and immediately minimising. Seems more predictable now, but time will tell. Now using an MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 from a computer recycling shop :-)

Cheers,

John P