Re: user creation during installation

In the end, I told it not to "Create  a home directory", but to DO create the user.

Guess what, when I logged as root, the home directory was already assigned as $HOME for the user on the Users and Groups appp regardless. I was expecting having to go to the "Users and Gropups" app and add the directory manually, but I was gladly surprised to see it already assigned. Weird

JP

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Allegedly, on or about 20 August 2013, Javier Perez sent:
> I have a directory on its own /home partition
>
> /home/username
>
> During installation it ask to set an Administrator user.
> One of the options is "Create a home directory for this user"
>
> What happens here if the directory already exist, will it be erased?
> Or will the installer use the existing directory?

In a situation like that, I'd be inclined to create a completely new
user, then deal with adding an old user, post-install.  You've got a
much easier time testing how things will behave when working with a
running system.  And having a new, spare, user logon to do any debugging
on a system is very handy, anyway.

But I can't imagine a setup deleting an already existing homespace, it'd
be a really dumb way of handling user accounts.  Having said that, being
asked to "create a home directory" is a bit odd, too.  And I can imagine
the possibility of setting up a new user in a prior user's files might
have the chance of installing a few default files over the top of
existing ones, ones that might have been customised.

All that sort of things goes to show why it can be useful to set up a
completely different user, then experiment with the account editor on a
running system, rather than one that's in the process of installing.
You've got more chance to poke around and try things, without facing the
prospect of the install doing something you don't like, without finding
out until it's too late.  Or having to restart the install several times
over, trying out different options.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.