Re: No EDID for VGA

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:46:43 -0700
Jon Cosby <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I installed a GeForce 8400 GS graphics card to replace an integrated
>  chipset and can't even boot to the live CD (F18) or rescue mode now.
> It stops with the output
>
>  Raw EDID
>  [rows of hex digits all 0]
>  Nouveau EI [ DRM] DDC responded, but no EDID for VGA-1
>
>  I have openSUSE installed on this machine, and it runs with no
>  problems. The monitor is an old KDS 17" CRT. Is there any way to get
>  this working?

Sure there is. :-) It will just need a bit of effort to set up. :-)
Given that the monitor is old and that Fedora is complaining about
missing EDID, my guess is that the monitor does not provide a correct
one (caveat --- nouveau drivers are still under heavy development, so it
might be that there is a bug in the driver rather than a faulty
monitor).

Anyway, you want to do the following:

(1) While in openSUSE, find out which modeline X is using. This
information should be available in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or
SUSE-equivalent of it). If you find it too cryptic, you may send us a
link to a pastebin, or use some utility that can write down the correct
modeline for you (there are many, and google is your friend).

(2) Boot and install F18 using the basic vga mode (i.e. the vesa
driver). While I sort-of remember that the LiveCD features a boot
option to that effect, you should either use that, or boot&install in
text mode, or tweak kernel parameters to disable nouveau. The latter
would be adding "rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0" to the kernel
line. You may need to add it on subsequent boots of the installed
system, until the modeline is put in place, or until you start using
kmod-nvidia instead of nouveau. Again, google is your friend. :-)

(3) I am not sure about the level of support for your graphics card by
the nouveau drivers, though at least elementary 2D graphics should
certainly be supported. Nevertheless, if that doesn't work, or if you
need accelerated graphics, after the installation of F18 you may
want to install kmod-nvidia drivers from rpmfusion. And remember, google
is your friend! ;-)

(4) If the monitor EDID is really at fault, you need to put the
modeline used by SUSE into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf  in the appropriate
section. On a fresh installation the xorg.conf file is likely to not
exist (although kmod-nvidia will probably create one). Anyway, create
it if it isn't there --- and put the modeline there. The details can be
found in copious amounts on the web, feel free to use google to find
out what to write where.

After this is set up and the system reboots, you should be good to go.

Note that this is just the outline of the procedure. If you don't know
how to perform each of these steps, or if google fails to be your friend
at any point, or if you get stuck somehow, ask here for details. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko