Re: Why should one upgrade Fedora whenever a new version is released?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Michael Hennebry wrote:

[snip]
Unless I missed it, nobody has described a particular use case yet in
which it is obvious that it is good to use CentOS.  Upgrading holds its
risks as well as using software that cannot be upgraded.  The future
cannot be predicted.  So how do you make a decision like between using
Fedora and CentOS?

Is there a particular use case in which it
is obvious that it is good to use RHEL?

Well, IMHO, you want RHEL (as opposed to CentOS) when you need paid support.

The particular use case that I have where I'm switching from Fedora to CentOS is a virtual machine rented in the cloud.

On my home machines, where I can touch the on-off button and see the boot screen, I can play around with installations and if something goes wrong, I can fix it.

On a virtual machine, there are more severe limitations.  For instance, if I power down my virtual machine, I have to submit a service ticket to get it turned back on -- I can't touch it to do it myself.  I have "poweroff" softlinked to "reboot."  Similarly, if there's a screw-up in upgrading that affects boot, I'm hosed.

When I got the machine, I told the company to install F16.  Now F16 is not supported, I find that it is impossible for me to either upgrade or install, because both require that I see and interact with the boot screen.  I talked to support, and they are happy to "reprovision" the box with either F19 or CentOS.  However, it means that they do it on *their* schedule, and I have to be ready to re-install all my stuff (webpage, configurations, nameserver, etc).

Thus, it's a huge hassle to either upgrade or install a new version every few months.  Since I'm using this machine as a server, I have no need to play with cutting edge stuff on it.  I'm more interested in stability and long-term security upgrades.  I'm having it reprovisioned to CentOS.

billo