Re: ZoneMinder and ffmpeg

Fernando Lozano wrote:
Hi there,

I have a desktop machine running Fedora 17 and a DVR card connected to six
surveilance cameras, managed by ZoneMinder. I use the package from Fedora
Project, it works veru well, but I miss the ability to store videos envoded as
mpeg or some other format that uses less disk space. Because the zoneminder
package for Fedora will store only JPEG files, it uses up too much disk space
and I can store only a a couple days.

I was wondering if upgrading to Fedora 19 to get the latest package would
improve this. I found nothing on the change log about this issue, which AFAIK is
related to the ffmpeg release used by Fedora.

Can anyone tell me if now ZoneMinder from Fedora can store encoded video instead
of individual jpeg frames? If not, I won't take the effort to upgrade the
machine right now.

I will suggest that you look at the "motion" package, which is what I use, records when motion is detected, as avi or mpg, and can do time lapse images which ffmpeg will easily roll into a video if that's your preference. Images can be jpeg, ppm (I use that for time lapse) and I believe some others I haven't used.

In addition to an individual clip of every individual motion triggered episode it will give you a single "events of the day" video. Some combination of these capabilities should give you what you need.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>