Re: Perplexed

| From: Roger <arelem@xxxxxxxxxxx>

| I just now used Fedup to update Fedora 18 to 19. It did it's thing quickly and
| efficiently and awaited a reboot.
| I have both Ubuntu and Fedora on the hard drive. It boots to the Ubuntu grub
| from which I select  the Fedora install.
| I selected Fedora spherical cow from the Ubuntu grub.
| It booted to the familiar Fedora 18 and stayed there, everything works as
| previously but I have no idea whether it performed the update, as it says in
| the Fedora Fedup page.
| I did see a very brief flash of what looked like an SELinux error message.
|
| There are no messages in SELinux alerts.
| What should I be looking for to resolve the upgrade please?

First of all, the Ubuntu installation's grub has its own config file.
So anything in the Fedora installation config file is ignored.

Second of all, Ubuntu thinks it knows how to set up its grub config
file to boot fedora.  But you have to tell Ubuntu to revise its file
whenever a change to the Fedora installation requires it.  Even then,
it would probably be wrong for the first boot after fedup.

What should you do:

If possible, use Fedora's grub.  Simpler, at least until the upgrade
process is done.  Then you can revert to Ubuntu's Grub, I imagine.

If not, boot into Ubuntu's grub but interrupt it and manually get it
to use fedora's config file.  This assumes that both are similar
versions of grub2 -- I don't know if that is the case.

After the initial setup is done, you still have a recurrent problem.
Whenever the system that doesn't "own" Grub has a kernel update, the
grub owner's grub config file needs to be manually updated.

In Fedora, the manual update is something like
	sudo grub2-mkconf >foo
	# see if the result is OK
	sudo cp -p foo /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

In Ubuntu, the manual update is something like
	# due to Ubuntu bug:
	mount the fedora root filesysytem

	sudo update-grub

PS: after fedup and first boot, I found that Fedora's grub
configuration was not right.  It caused some error messages to flash
by (fonts missing?).  Not a serious problem.  That was easily fixed by
the grub2-mkconf step outlined above.