Re: Performance and the hard disk size

Tim:
>> Have you seen Windows complain at boot up that you hadn't shut down
>> properly, and it needs to check the drive?  (Of course you did shut
>> down properly, *it* screwed up doing so.)  Then you have the fun of
>> waiting for it to scan through one hell of a huge drive.  More so if
>> your computer likes to regularly screw up.

Reindl Harald:
> which does typically not happen

Maybe not in your sheltered world, but it's an all too familiar message
seen by scads of other people.

>> Then there's drive fragmentation.  Windows still seems to be horrid
>> for that.  I'd hate to have to wait for a 2 TB drive to defrag.  Even
>> if I wasn't watching the box, waiting for it to finish, because I
>> wanted to use it, but left it overnight - it'd be at it all night

> which has nothing to do with *a disk* larger than 1 TB
> it's more depending on the partitions you create

It has an awful lot to do with such large discs.  What's the default
partitioning for Windows?  One partition that covers the entire drive.

The next common scheme for pre-installed Windows, is one huge partition
for Windows, and a small partition for recovery purposes.  Which still
leaves you with a huge partition to check when Windows regularly shoots
itself in the foot.

And don't try to tell me otherwise.  In something like 18 years of
observing all incarnations of Windows shooting itself in the foot, on
brand new installs, on well maintained installs, etc., nobody can
convince me that it's not unstable.  I have never regretted abandoning
it.

> in context of Linux it doe snot matter at all

The context was Windows users advising against large drives, because of
"performance" issues.  My counter was that Linux is different, and those
are too very common drive-based time wasters with Windows.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.