Re: OT: Hard drive warning at boot time

Paul Smith <phhs80@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   013   013   036    Pre-fail
> Always   FAILING_NOW 3587

What the other respondents missed is that this is the *reallocated*
sector count.  It is a count of the sectors that have already been
replaced by spares.  There are no unreadable files currently.  The
replacement only happens on writes, so you are probably seeing freshly
written, pristine files.

As to the haste you should replace the disk with, that all depends on
how the sectors got trashed in the first place.  If you moved the
computer while it was up and writing to the disk the arm could have been
jiggled onto the next track during the write.  I know that happens with
3-1/2" drives.  I was seeing an ever increasing reallocated sectors on
my desktop machine until I traced the lossage back to me tilting the
case forward in order to get easier access to the connectors on the
back.

Another computer, my laptop has had 6 reallocated sectors since the
first few weeks after I got it.  That was 7+ years ago.  The disk is
still going strong with no increase in reallocated sector count (or
pending reallocation sector count) in all those years.  Stable
reallocated counts shouldn't bother you too much.  It is when they go up
that you should be concerned.

On the other hand, I do nightly rsync backups to a spare disk.
According to google, which probably has more disks that the NSA, only
half of the disk drive deaths are preceded by smartmon saying anything.

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about