pnmixer and pulseaudio

Hi,

I'm trying to run pnmixer in my xfce systray because it's nicer than the
default xfce4-mixer, and because I can run pavucontrol from there.

But I have a strange problem.  Supposedly pnmixer can deal with ALSA and
PulseAudio(*).  ALSA appears to work, but there's no way to control
PulseAudio channels for some reason.  For the main volume control I have
only the choice between my two ALSA devices, an USB headset and the
internal HDA ATI SB card.

While controlling the volume of the headset works fine, when choosing
any of the channels of the SB card, changing the volume has no effect at
all (works in pavucontrol, though).  Neither has the mute button.
Yes, I tried "Reload ALSA" multiple times with no effect at all.

In contrast, if I start xfce4-mixer, I have not only the choice between
the USB headset, and the HDA ATI SB also device, but I have additional
choices from PulseAudio.  If I choose HDA ATI SB (Alsa Device), xfce4-mixer
can't change the volume of the device either.  if I choose the matching
PulseAudio device "Playback: Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)",
the xfce4-mixer volume control works.

As a sidenote, when changing the device in pnmixer's preference dialog,
after pressing the OK button an error dialog pops up, telling me "Mixer
detach error: No such file or directory".  I have no idea what it's
trying to tell me.

Does anybody know how I can get pnmixer to recogize the PulseAudio
channels and use them for its volume control?  Or if I'm doing something
wrong, can anybody tell me what that is?

Thanks,
Corinna

(*) https://github.com/nicklan/pnmixer/wiki/