Re: update from 17 to 18 failed

"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ah hm, I've done the above and removed some other packages that don't
>> seem to be needed anymore.  Let me try cleandupes ...
>>
>> Dupes are all gone now, it didn't find any.  I have orphaned packages:
> <snip list>
>
> I wouldn't worry about these.  A package being "orphaned" just means
> that you didn't manually install them and they are no longer required
> as a dependency of anything else.  In fact, the mechanism yum uses to
> track these might be confused by the partial upgrade.  There are some
> rather important packages in that list you probably don't want to
> remove listed there, such as NetworkManager for instance.

How can they be orphaned when there are packages that depend on them?

Network manager is actually obsolete, it's only there because of messed
up dependencies, i. e. too many packages depending on it without any of
them needing it.

>> When I attempt remove these, yum wants to remove packages from 18 as
>> well due to dependencies.  Are there packages in 18 that depend on
>> packages from 17, and why would that be?
>
> That's not quite what's happening.  You have a lot of packages on your
> system that are still at the F17 version, and that version just
> happens to satisfy the dependencies of F18 packages just fine.  They
> would be equally happy if a F18 version took their place.

Not really a lot anymore, I hope?

>> The list is quite a bit longer when not limiting it to packages from 17,
>> but I guess that's because packages are listed no other packages depend
>> on.
>>
>> What can I do about the packages that remain from 17 now?  Go through
>> them one by one and see what happens when attempting to remove them?
>
> As I said previously, you probably really want to keep these packages;
> you just need to get them updated to F18.  If we can fix distro-sync,
> we can fix this.

Ok how do we fix distro-sync then?  I don't want to have any such
problems as I had now when updating to the next release --- and I will
have a Gentoo or arch installer ready before starting to update in case
it doesn't work again.

>> Services that didn't work anymore are now working again.  I haven't
>> rebooted yet after removing packages, though.
>>
>> Oh and I moved the repo files for rpmfusion out of the way because that
>> all seemed to refer to Fedora 17 instead of 18.  IIRC I need those (at
>> least) for the NVIDIA driver.  What do I need to do about those?
>
> Hmm, the RPMFusion .repo files as installed by
> rpmfusion-(non)free-release don't hardcode the distribution version;
> they use $releasever to have yum figure it out for them.  Did you see
> the number "17" in the rpmfusion-*.repo files themselves, or did yum

IIRC, I followed some instructions to install NVIDIA drivers which
involved adding the rpmfusion repo.  Is there a Fedora package to add
this repo which provids these files?

> If yum is confused about the version of Fedora you are using that
> could explain why distro-sync is acting up.

It shouldn't be confused anymore.  When I figured out that it seems to
be confused, I tried to make it assume that this is Fedora 18 now by
removing the fedora-release package from 17 and reinstalling the
fedora-release package from 18 after finding [1] and another post
somewhere that pointed out that there is such a package.  I didn't want
to change the variables mentioned in [1] in yum.conf, and the
fedora-release package seemed to fix the problem.

Now when install a package, the package from 18 gets installed.
However, I have now the two directories, "17" and "18", in
/var/cache/yum/x86_64/. Shouldn't that somehow be cleaned?

[1]: https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Using_Yum_Variables.html

--
Fedora 17.8