Re: Install F18 using LVM on RAID

Hi
thx for your answer.

On Thursday, June 06, 2013 02:04:24 PM Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 06.06.2013 10:30, Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> > Unfortunately the installer does not allow to create this kind of
> > partition
> > layout. With F17 this was possible.
>
> Yes, it was possible in F17. Now it isn't :) It's kind of improvement in
> installer.
>
> > 2.) Installing F17 and upgrade using fedup. This fails. Seems like fedup
> > is
> > not able to handle this layout.
>
> fedup is not touching anything in partition layout. (someone on devel@
> group stated this recently) fedup downloads packages, new kernel and
> "installation" initrd. Then it uses yum/rpm do upgrade OS. So it should
> be possible to upgrade your machine.
fedup works without error, but after reboot the system cannot mount the root
partition. I guess the newly created initrd does not work anymore.

> > 3.) Kickstart: It looks like this is most likely the way to get it
> > working.
> > But I was not able to write a working kickstart script. The online doc is
> > not enough for that. I found same kickstart examples using Google, but
> > these didn't work either.
>
> This is the only chance to do what you want. I also wait with
> upgrade/reinstall on some of my boxes because I can't play with
> kickstart to learn how it works. I have no spare box to destroy for one
> day. You can see content of kickstart-ks.cfg in /root directory of your
> Fedora 17 install and use it for new installation.
I tried this also. I used the F17 generated anaconda-ks.cfg and only removed
the F17 repos. Then I booted the F18 network install CD, pressed Esc, entered
the "linux ks=...." command and the installation starts.
But here I get the error "Installation Destination: Error checking storage
configuration."

I looks like there is no way to install F18 on this setup.

BTW, I also tried the "hardcore" way.
Installed F18 using only LVM.
Then booted SystemResue CD. Archived the system using tar.
Reformated the system using fdisk, setup everything using mdadm and lvm tools.
Restored the system to the new partitions. Changed /etc/fstab and grub
configuration, reinstalled grub and rebootet.
But the old initrd was not able to detect the raid stuff.

So I rebooted SystemRescue, chrooted again to F18, tried to generate a new
initrd using dracut. I explicitly added devicemapper, md and lvm support to
dracut modules.
But this didn't work either.

At the moment I've no clue howto solve that problem.
Maybe I should use also Gentoo for the server. This works without problems.
But I wanted to avoid that, because keeping the system up2date is more work
with Gentoo.

regards,
Gerhard