Re: Network Manager Problems

On Fri, 3 May 2013, Lawrence Graves wrote:

On 05/03/2013 08:14 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
I agree with you, I believe it is the drivers too. I assumed it was the network manager because I am able to connect to my 2.4ghz wi-fi. Aren't the same drivers used to connect to 2.4ghz the drivers to connect to 5ghz.

Yeah, I think so.  But kernel wackiness can be odd.  For instance, on my toshiba with F18, the wireless worked fine *except* with certain Cisco routers.  So, I could use it from home where I have an old obsolete Belkin router, and I could use it at Barnes and Nobel, but I it had severe problems at my hospital and at McDonalds -- it found the router and got an ip address and everything was fine for about four minutes, then it started dropping packets and became frozen after about 10 minutes.  Of the two or three places it didn't work and I could find out, it was always with a Cisco router.  So, when I install a new version of fedora, I throw an old USB Alfa adapter in my computer case and use it instead of the onboard adapterif it blinks out. If I can't fix it, as I said, then I take a break from fedora until it gets fixed in the kernel.  This has happened with F16,17, and 18, though I haven't switched that particular box back to 18 from Mint yet.

There comes a point where I just don't have the energy to flog these things, particularly with wifi.  I don't have high bandwidth requirements, so keeping a little old usb adapter in my backpack basically takes care of the problem without me spending hours running down blind alleys.

For me, at least, configuration issues and driver/hardware issues tend to act very differently, with the latter being more intermittent and making less sense on first glance (and, of course, resistant to configuration changes).

That's not to say there haven't been issues with using NetworkManager over the years as well...

billo